Profile > History & Heritage > T.C. Douglas Centre
The Tommy Douglas Centre is located at 400 Tenth Avenue S.E. in Weyburn. It is a Centre for Performing Arts and meeting room with kitchen for Weyburn and the area.
Constructed in 1906, it was built as the Calvary Baptist Church. To preserve it as a heritage building, it was moved from downtown Weyburn in 1985 and transformed into a centre for the performing arts. It is a tribute to the late Honourable T.C. Douglas, the former Baptist minister who preached his very first sermon in this building. The T.C. Douglas Centre was officially opened on October 19, 1991 as a tribute to a man who made an outstanding contribution to his country. The Centre hosts numerous productions and events throughout the year. While attending events, be sure to tour the T.C. Douglas Centre archive room.
Thomas Clement Douglas was born in 1904 in Falkirk, Scotland and moved to Canada with his family in 1910. Tommy went on to become the Premier of Saskatchewan, leader of the Federal NDP Party, and the father of what we now know as "Medicare". In 2004, Mr. Douglas was voted in a national television event as "The Greatest Canadian" .
Board of Directors:
Enjoy your visit!